The Artoberfest festival offers fun activities for the entire family.
- Headliner band, Chicago Afrobeat Project (CAbP), will perform at 7 p.m. It’s a regional coup to snap up this band as it is playing in some of the hottest clubs and most prestigious festivals across the country. A leader in the non-traditional afrobeat movement, CAbP’s music is described as “an expression of world cultural unity and social awareness within a medium of music, dance and rebellious celebration.” With influences from juju, highlife, American funk, afro-Cuban, experimental jazz and rock, the band’s music is both melodic and hard-hitting. The group promises a stellar performance with selections from its new, fourth album “Nyash Up!”
- Regional musicians will also perform throughout the day. Trachead Entertainment will deliver a positive message through its lively, inspirational music starting at 3 p.m. Benton Harbor’s own Char Jones and Friends will warm up the crowd before CAbP takes the stage.
- Between the professional acts, area youth will present a range of artistic talent on stage.
- An art fair will display regional professional and student artists from noon-7p.m.
- A highlight of Artoberfest will be regional microbrews. Michigan breweries on tap will be Arcadia, Livery, Founders and Shorts. National brewery Lagunitas will also showcase its beer. In addition, St. Julian wine and local food will be available for purchase.
- Main Stage sponsors for Artoberfest are United Federal Credit Union, Whirlpool Foundation and The Consortium for Community Development. Gold sponsor is Mickey’s Linen. Silver sponsors are Austin Financials, The Boulevard Inn, Brammall Supply, Chemical Bank, DeVries Insurance, Edgewater Bank, The Livery, Petz Carlton and Silver Beach Pizza. Perry Ballard Incorporated, Revolution Design, St. Julian Winery and Thayer provided in-kind gifts.
The New Territory Arts Association (NTAA) is a not-for-profit, grassroots organization dedicated to the revitalization of Benton Harbor through the arts. Founded in 1999, it has been responsible for many special Arts District events and arts-related programming. Through murals and banners, art auctions and festivals, quarterly Art Hop celebrations, arts education programming and scholarships, the NTAA helps create a unique, dynamic environment in downtown Benton Harbor for artists, visitors, area residents and business owners.